Friday, June 18, 2010

Vocabulary Lesson - Biff it good

I like to be "in the know" but I have taken many of the things I learned at face value. I am enjoying doing the research on these for the blog because now I know why it is that way. For example, the word of the day today is biff. In my world biff means to trip, fall, hit, get injured etc... It would be used in a sentence as such: while taking pictures the hubby tripped on the stairs and almost biffed it. Hold that image for a minute.When I use the word around here people usually look at me and scratch their heads or I get the agreement nod with the confused look.Alright, about that mental image, a few weeks ago we are home for lil sis's wedding and during rehearsal the hubby is taking pictures from the balcony of the church. All of the sudden I hear laughing around me and someone says "he biffed it" and then there was applause a few seconds later when he reappeared. I couldn't help breaking into laughter, not at hubby tripping but at the pleasure of being surrounded by people who used one of my favorite words!    

Ok so back to the meaning of the word biff. I decided to do a little looking around and apparently there is some disagreement on what the word means and where it comes from. The most popular response is that it is short for biffy, which is an outhouse and it is a British word common in Canada. While my mom hails from this area and all, I am pretty sure I have never heard an outhouse called that. Additionally, biff also means to whack, blow, punch or hit. At least these are physical occurrences and are similar to the meaning I grew up with.I personally prefer to use it in the fall or trip form.

There is the vocabulary lesson for the day and what have we learned; no matter what the definition is biff is never a good thing!

For a great biff video click here Thanks Adam and Keri (and Carson)

2 comments:

  1. I didn't use it as outhouse much, more the "I'm going to biff you if you don't cut that out". I think you and Lyns probably heard that more than once as you were growing up:) Your Grandmother however, used that word alot as the "outhouse" while we were camping and such:)Another simular word in the British/Canadian terms for outhouse/toilet watercloset, would be the privie.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ....on behalf of Grandma, the correct terminology for "outhouse" is "biffy." You gots to put the "y" in it.
    Lovingly submitted by the Canadian Auntie :)

    ReplyDelete