Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Accents

I want to talk about accents for a moment today. When I am at home many of my friends and family give me a hard time for the accent I have picked up. Around here though I get a lot of "you aren't from around here are you?" question. I feel like an accent outcast, like I don't belong anywhere. I find myself saying that no I haven't picked up the southern accent and yes I do still talk like I am from the Midwest but no one accepts that. Oh well, I have learned to deal with that fact and move on. I am proud of my mix of accents, it makes me unique! Last night I had an interesting discovery though. Many of you know I am obsessed with reality TV. It is my guilty pleasure. Well for those of you who watch the Bachelorette you know there is a contestant on there named Kirk and he is from Wisconsin. Last night, while I was getting caught up on this weeks show, I realized I was smiling every time Kirk came on TV because his accent was familiar to me. I could actually hear the Wisconsin in his voice. Hearing is my strongest of the 5 senses, in fact my mom calls me rabbit ears, and my boss hates it but none the less it is. I always found it strange that I have never noticed accents of my friends and family back home, but now that I am away from it, I find comfort when I hear that familiar sound. It is amazing to me that I have been away from it for so long now that I can actually pick it out of a crowd, it truly is the sound of home.

3 comments:

  1. I understand TOTALLY, eh. One day I had to call Charter cause my TV was on the fritz. As I talk to this dude, I was like "OK, where in Canada am I calling" He was like "A little town outside of Toronto, how did you know?" I was like, "Winnipeg, dude, man have YOU got the accent!!" Whenever I visited Wisconsin during my dating years with your dad, everyone I spoke with in Winnipeg, when I got back, thought I was in Oklahoma or something." Accents are fun, eh?

    ReplyDelete
  2. You can always be proud of your "accent". We love you anyway you talk.
    Rachel & Russ

    ReplyDelete