Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Southern Food pt. 1

The title of my blog reflects my favorite food groups from back home and food is on my mind again. The hubby had time off this weekend and made me breakfast Sunday morning and it was so good. That got me thinking about my favorite foods from back home and from here in the south.
Beer soaked grilled brats were the meal that I requested for my birthday meals and any other special event. They are usually the highlight of my trips back, along with some fresh squeaky cheese of course! Yes I can buy brats at the stores here, it isn't the same, but that is okay it gets me by in a pinch. I have found that I have an interesting problem when I go home to the dairy land and that is how much I miss some of my favorite southern foods. Southern bbq is an entire food group itself and I am pretty sure I could eat it everyday if I could. When I go home, I have to take some of Uncle Adam's bbq with me or else I won't survive. I have to admit it is sad when you have to plan what food to take home with you. The other food that I can't live without now is biscuits and gravy. Holy moly what a wonderful creation. I am lucky that my husband makes a killer gravy, so as long as he is with me we are only a few ingredients from a yummy meal. However, should I be home with out him Cracker Barrel has yummy biscuits and gravy or Upper Crust restaurant near where I used to live has a pretty good substitute.
Now that my stomach is growling I am going to try to focus on a few non food related tasks today. 

4 comments:

  1. Last time I was in WI I experienced blueberry Brats. What's your thoughts on that version?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Blueberry brats are not something I have been lucky enough to try yet. But next trip home it will be on my list to try and review!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am reminded of Canadian Rye bread. I think we need to have some in Feb. I love perogies and cabbage rolls. But, it has to be at home, they don't taste the same any where else...........Uncle Adam's bbq, heaven on a bun!!! And the secret sauce....I'm in love, it is truly a work of art.........OK, now I'm hungry, does Uncle Adam's deliver to WI??? Am posting as anonymous, dumb google acc't on the fritz, this is Charity's mom:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am stocking up on perogies and rye bread when we go in Feb!!!

    ReplyDelete