Thursday, July 8, 2010

How we do the 4th of July

I have been chomping at this post all week. I received this picture Sunday with a caption "how we do the 4th in Wisconsin". I feel like I should have something witty to say about what it is like to celebrate the 4th back home in WI and how it is different here. I have struggled to come up with a list of things you can do here as a substitute for that which you are missing from back home.  Truth is though I don't really think there is much different. When I think about celebrating this holiday when I was in WI, we grilled out, hung out with family and friends, lit some sparklers and watched a few fireworks. Ironic how I do that very same thing here with a few differences of course. My blood family isn't here, but my own family and my friends who are like family are here and I enjoy my time with them as much as I did the clan back home. Are the things we put on the grill slightly different than back home - sure, but if you really want brats they sell Johnsonville at the local grocery store. We have fireworks and act goofy. I guess if I have to be honest, there is one thing missing, cheese curds, but you can't win 'em all right, so I deal.

I guess my philosophical view of this situation (yikes did I really just say that) is that is doesn't matter where you are, it just matters to appreciate our freedoms and remember those who have made it happen and continue to protect it. Hope you all had a happy 4th of July!

No comments:

Post a Comment